Thursday, March 8, 2012

Hot dog! I'm a wiener!


Rachel at The Girl with the White Parasol, a site that's far from unfamiliar in this neck of the blogosphere, has generously nominated me for a 7X7 Link Award. This arrives at an advantageous time for my humble site, since New Part-time Job + Stress + Natural Inclination Toward The Lazy = Long Stretch of Blogger's Block. The structured rules that result from winning blog awards is sure to get my writing juices flowing once more. The premise goes thusly:

* Tell everyone something that no one else knows about
* Link to one of my posts that I personally think best fits the following categories: Most Beautiful Piece, Most Helpful Piece, Most Popular Piece, Most Controversial Piece, Most Surprisingly Successful Piece, Most Underrated Piece, and Most Pride-worthy Piece
* Pass this award on to seven other bloggers

All right, first things first then, won't you?

*Tell everyone something that no one else knows about


I'm a Death Eater.



Ha ha, I kid! I barely know what that is (the Harry Potter phenomenon has always left me surprisingly cold). Let's see, I'm not too secretive.

Oh. I know. In my heart of hearts, this is the secret career I really always wanted, even with the risk of arthritis, injuries, drastic weight loss, and what have you:


With all the pressure, competitiveness, and striving for perfection inherent in ballet, I'd probably last all of two seconds. But in my dream world I'm automatically good at it and graceful as a freaking swan and everybody can kiss my dainty little ass.

* Link to one of my posts that I personally think best fits the following categories:


Most Beautiful Piece




I'll go with The Mummy: Most Romantic Movie Character Ever? True love is beautiful. True love that spans the ages is beautiful. Madness and evil grappling with adoration is beautiful. And pictures of Christopher Lee's big, sad, dark eyes? Beautiful.

Most Helpful Piece


I share Rachel's befuddlement with this one. I suck at giving directions, so you won't find anything like that here. Guess I'll go with my very first post, Internet? Can I play, please? This bundle of first-time nerves wrapped up in a few scattered paragraphs did kinda sorta explain in its backward way who I am and what I'm all about, and gave a very vague idea what to expect from future posts (truth is I didn't know then, and I don't really know now. This blog was supposed to be about the best local fish canneries, but it got away from me!).

Most Popular Piece




Going by my stats, Great What-Ifs Vol 2, Electric Boogaloo: Batman The Animated Series in the '40s? AKA: Why do all my posts end in question marks? Lack of confidence? Or is it instead evidence of a quick, querying mind struggling to come to terms with the wacky world around her? Or is it the tender story of a rich little girl forced to live in the attic of her boarding house working as a scullery maid after her father dies and she loses her inheritance?

Anyways, I'm not surprised this one's so popular. I attract two of my biggest audiences here: the comics fans and the old movie fans, all framed by that goofy "let's cast this!" premise. I should do that again sometime. They're really, really fun to write. And they evidently make people like me! Boon!

Most Controversial Piece




I'd say Bogus Developments in TV Shows. In this one post alone, I blasted two incredibly popular Buffy couples, questioned the creators' motives in turning Willow lesbian, slyly hinted there might be sexism lurking behind the idea that Liz Lemon desperately wants to be a mommy despite her selfish, lovably immature character, and accused James Marsters and Sarah Michelle Gellar of having zero romantic chemistry. I know, cutting-edge, right? Look, I have no secrets and I have no controversy! I'm the easy-going blogger who wants everyone to be happy and think about Batman and Film Noir! Is that so wrong?

Most Surprisingly Successful Piece




Looking at my stats once more, apparently my brief piece Elke Sommer: Another in the long line of '60s blondes I pretended to be when I was little and even now a little bit is my second most popular post after the What-If Batman piece. I also apparently find really long and confusing post titles cute and quirky, adorkable in the nauseating extreme!

This flummoxes me. I mean, I know I love Elke Sommer, and she's certainly deserving of accolades and recognition. But I always kind of assumed her popularity these days was eclipsed by the Bardots, Welches, Ekbergs, and so on. Plus, I don't really say much that's new and edgy--hell, I don't even mention her long-standing feud with Zsa Zsa Gabor! What the piece boils down to is, "Hi! I liked Elke Sommer in A Shot in the Dark. She's really pretty. Don't you think she's charming? I certainly do." The video I embedded doesn't even play anymore.

I'm not saying it's a bad post, but my second most popular of all time? Really? Okie-doke, internet. You must really, really like your Germanic blondes.

Oh, wait. Of course you do. Never mind, I get it.

Most Underrated Piece




Literary Rant: In Defense of Dolores Haze.  I think the contemporary dismissal of Lolita's plight and character is harmful, and misses the point of the book entirely. I made some good points about the way Nabokov wrote her character and how the film versions handled the story, but received zip in the comment department. And again, looking at some of my stats, my suspicion is the audience this did attract were people looking for Lolita fashion. Or young girls dressed up as Lolita. I don't know what I was expecting writing about Lo, so there you go.

Most Pride-worthy Piece




The Dolores Haze piece is up there, but for variety's sake I'll say my review of Going Sane, 1994. Reviewing a graphic novel falls outside my normal territory, but I think I acquitted myself rather well. The scans are terrible, so don't look at them. There's like a smudge of something on one of them, another is crooked, and you can't even read the text on one. I t'ain't very scan savvy.

But I really love Going Sane, and thought I did a good job of balancing that love with some healthy critical objectivity (i.e. when I talked about how much the art sucked). I think I also gave a fair representation of the Joker, or at least DeMatteis's version--not cardboard, but not overly romanticized, either. Because seriously, how can you romanticize the Clown Prince? Depth is good, but let's not make him fall head over heels in love with Harley or anything like that to satisfy our disturbing fangirl urges, please. And this is coming from one of the most disturbed fangirls you'll ever meet (I think Christopher Plummer as General Chang in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country is sexy).

* Pass this award on to seven other bloggers

As has happened the last couple of times, I missed out nominating the wonderfully brilliant Rachel for an award, since another lucky blogger beat me to the punch. Rachel is as generous to fellow bloggers as she is insightful in her posts. And on top of not being able to nominate her, that crafty she-devil already named a few other blogs I might have picked. But per usual, I'm still following more than enough delightful blogs to fit the required bill.

A Mythical Monkey Writes About The Movies: Balances really fun tourneys and events with well-written film analysis. Have a feeling the Monkey's paws are about full right now co-hosting the 2012 Favorite Classic Movie Actress Tourney, but this award is here when you're ready, Monkey!

All Good Things: Same to you, All Good Things! Thanks for all the pictures, trivia, and more!

By Film Possessed: I only recently started following esco's blog, but the films and opinions featured already impress me with their originality and depth.

Classic Movies: KC keeps me up to date on all the hot links and classic movie updates. Obviously has a deep passion for the subject, and generously shares all the best info with the reader.

I Think, Therefore I Review: Kristin knows her stuff and knows how to write to draw you in. Excellent blog, excellent and versatile list of subjects.

Movietone News: I've gushed about Matthew's writing before, so I'll simply reiterate: unique, fun, and superbly written. Always a joy to read.

Frankly, My Dear: Charming, spirited, and stylish. Rianna embraces her favorite interests and makes you love them, too.

Dang, seven went by fast! There are about a million more blogs that I follow I'd have loved including, so I might have to create my own award thingy one of these days. I can do that, right? What, you going to send the Blog Police after me? Is this an Orwellian hell we're living in, folks, or the CYBER REVOLUTION? You decide. I'm gonna go eat something.

18 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for the nod Laura! This actress tournament is keeping me busy but maybe I'll actually write something tonight -- Katie-Bar-The-Door is visiting her ailing mother today so I'm all alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Put me down as someone who loves all your defenses of maligned female characters: Lolita, Mina Murray, and Dora Spenlow. And I too was really impressed by the Going Sane piece since you really conveyed the depth and interest of the graphic novel (and this from someone who's never been all that interested in the Joker).

    I find it funny that your Elke Sommer post pulls in the readers since I had the same experience writing about Veronica Lake. Clearly all we need to do is just devote our blogs to profiles on blonde actresses and our readerships will skyrocket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mythical Monkey, look forward to your post, and for the rest of the tourney!

    Rachel, thank you so much! Gotta love 'dem wacky literary dames. Glad I'm not the only one. And I'm happy my Going Sane post interested even a non-Joker fanatic (actually, I don't consider myself that huge a Mr. J fan, either...well, I did just call him Mr. J, so never mind).

    You're right about the blondes. What say we start a Hilton Sisters Blogathon?! I kid I kid OH GOD I kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you so much for the kind words.

    Following the thread on your Lolita piece, I also liked it very much when I first read it and felt the same way when I just read it again. I never read the book (I'm culturally deprived I know) but I found the Kubrick movie so sad because, as you write, so many lives were wrecked. I always saw Lolita as a hero for her resilience and refusal to be a victim. She's a full blown personality from day one of the movie and I guess to some that makes her a threat. To Humbert it made her an object of desire. Having Just written about Bunuel's Tristana, they're are striking parallels in their predicaments with older men, but the latter is no hero. Her life is destroyed and unlike Lolita she becomes a monster as a result.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellently put, esco. "She's a full blown personality from day one of the movie and I guess to some that makes her a threat." Yes, isn't that strange? There's a sort of paradox at play here: I've noticed that when a female character plays victim and doesn't put up a fight, audiences accuse her of being vapid and spineless, yet when the character is defiant and show glimmers of humor and spirit, she's called a...well...when the aduience is being polite, she's stuck up or annoying.

    I haven't seen Tristiana yet, but having read your review, I know I'm about to. Both Lo and Tristiana seem like emotionally stunted people, but Lo buries herself in a stable family environment when Tristiana, like you say, chooses a more monstrous route--perhaps the route Humbert himself would have taken had he been in one of his beloved nymphet's shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the award, Laura!!! I'm so glad you like my blog :) I'll do this sometime this weekend. Congrats on winning yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Rianna! You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the hat tip Laura. I'm a sucker for praise. You are of my favorite new (to me) bloggers of the past year as well. I like your style!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And I'm with you on Ms. Dolores Haze. There are not nearly enough people defending women of any kind these days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agreed, there's a lack of support in both fiction and in real life. And thank you for the kind words, KC! Glad to give all my favorite fabulous bloggers some well-deserved credit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Laura--how can I email you? I want to invite you to be a guest classic linker for a day on my blog in April. Send me a message at classicmovies (at) gmail (dot) com if you're interested!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eee! Will do! Thank you for thinking of me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, cool! Send me your email address so I can include you on messages to the contributors. This is going to be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Crap--I just realized I gave you the wrong email. Sorry for the brain fart---it's classicmovieblog (at) gmail (dot) com. All I've got to say is I'm glad it's Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha, that's all right! I just whoever classicmovies is at gmail doesn't mind the mix-up. Will send you my email straight-away!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh, just spotted this! Thanks ever so!

    ReplyDelete
  17. No problem, Matthew! As always, quite deserving.

    ReplyDelete
  18. BlueHost is definitely one of the best website hosting company for any hosting plans you might need.

    ReplyDelete