Monday, March 21, 2011

So, why wasn't Justin Timberlake nominated for Social Network?


Hey, I've finally become a semi functional member of my generation, everyone! I actually sat down and watched The Social Network a few days ago. (Look, I was a poor student when it came out, and I've been really, really lazy since then! Leave me alone in my craptitude.) Anyways, instead of blabbing on about stuff others more coherent than I have already covered about the movie, such as Jesse Eisenberg's spot-on performance (he's like every jerk I've ever met!) and my peculiar fondness for the Winklevi (you know they apparently have a facebook page?), I've decided to harp instead on the Academy for leaving out Timberlake's performance as Sean Parker in this year's nominations.

I staunchly refused to like him when I was a pretentious elementary/middle schooler, back when he was all the rage in that one band all the kids rocked out to.  I was obviously the coolest little girl on the block, and "above" such nonsense. (Because, you know, pretending to like KORN was "keeping it real.") But even now that I've recovered from my judgmental preteen bitchiness--well, no, not really--I'll freely admit I was dubious about him a tad when I first heard he was in this.

Well, I'm stupid. The guy was great. His delusional, fast talking on the telephone to Zuckerberg in That One Scene was the ultimate portrayal of a douchebag so high on his own douchebaggery and inflated sense of self-worth that he's slowly driven kind of cuckoo by his hyper self-involvement.

So really, Academy? Not a lousy Best Supporting Actor nom? Is it because he's Banksy? Is that it? You allow him to design your Oscar sets, but when it comes to actual Awards, you draw the line? That's some cold hypocrisy right there.

P.S. My sister and I agree on the film's best line--

"You are probably going to be a very successful computer person. But you're going to go through life thinking that girls don't like you because you're a nerd. And I want you to know, from the bottom of my heart, that that won't be true. It'll be because you're an asshole."

YES. Take that, some boys I've met! Seriously, that chick was my favorite character in the film. Dang, to be half that eloquent around people who make my head scream with the anger.

1 comment:

  1. Did you know that you can create short urls with AdFly and get cash from every visitor to your short urls.

    ReplyDelete